Update: I was just reviewing Peter Patterson’s comment last night and noticed this morning that Earl Dodd, Executive Director, Rocky Mountain Supercomputing Centers, Inc. (http://rmscinc.org/), has a recent piece along these lines at HPC in the Cloud: Licensing Blocks Path to HPC Cloud Business Development. Apparently licensing continues to be a major challenge. – Editor
Virtualisation has spread like wildfire through the data centres of UK organisations during 2007.
Before virtualisation it was relatively easy to keep control of business IT expenditure through the assigned hardware costs and software applications licensed to execute upon them. Even at the individual level it was possible to keep track of licensing terms and conditions by counting the number of employees who had access to their office and other work applications.
- If we struggled to keep track of licence agreements and their provisions in the past, does virtualisation help or hinder the task looking forwards?
- What tools and techniques are available to help us manage in this new age of computing?
This webinar brings together some of the pioneers in this industry, working at the leading edge to shed light on the new responsibilities of IT managers; to provide tools and methods to gain insight and to set policies and industry direction in the new situation.
Join us at 14:00 on Thursday 10 April to learn more from:
- David Gittins, Capgemini who has been working with the public sector on this challenge
- Neil Sanderson, Product Manager for Virtualisation at Microsoft
- Mark Cresswell of Scalable Solutions, a leader in the provision of tools for monitoring and reporting usage.
Ian Osborne, Project Director of Grid Computing Now! will chair the session and invite those attending to an online conference to discuss the topic following the broadcast. Grid Computing Now! is working closely with FAST, the Federation against Software Theft, to bring insight and understanding to this issue for IT managers in all sectors of the industry.
Registration Link: http://mediazone.brighttalk.com/event/gridcomputingnow/af47327116-1354-intro
How it works: You will be able to take part online from your desk by watching live video, viewing slides and asking questions through an interactive webpage.
Date: Thursday 10 April 2008
Time: 14:00– 15:00 (UK time)
For more information contact:
T 020 7331 2171