The XDS consumer supports 3 transactions:
– Registry Query (ebXML 2.1, ITI-16)
– Registry Stored Query (ebXML 3.0, ITI-18)
– Retrieve Document (http, ITI-17)
These transactions are implemented as defined by the IHE organization. So the consumer will send ebXML 2.1 messages if you invoke the "query()" methods as defined. The XDS Consumer will send ebXML 3.0 if you invoke the "invokeStoredQuery()" method. XDS Registries, as stated by IHE, are required to handle Stored Queries (ITI-18) and it is optional for them to additionally support the Registry Query (ITI-16). If you are just beginning your implementation and have an ebXML 2.1 registry, the OHF XDS Consumer should work right out of the box using the "query()" method. The OHF XDS Document Source sends ebXML 2.1 messages, so you should be all set.
A HEADS UP as well: This year peer transactions using ebXML 3.0 are coming out in a new supplement in IHE. This supplement is still under development and will be made available for public comment in the coming weeks. After this point in time XDS will have a set of "original" transactions and a new set of "web service" transactions.
Orginal (using ebXML 2.1):
– Registry Query (ITI-16)
– Provide and Register Document Set (ITI – 15)
– Retrieve Document (ITI-17)
– Register Document Set (ITI-14)
Web service (using ebXML 3.0)
– Registry Stored Query (ITI-18, updated again this cycle)
– Provide and Register Document Set-b (ITI-15.b)
– Retrieve Document Set (ITI-XX – new transaction)
– Register Document Set-b (ITI-14.b)
These transactions will have an effect on OHF and XDS Registry implementors. Requirements for Connectathon and compliance will be affected as well.
For more details on the current status of these new transactions, please see the in-progress document.
It is my intent to try and implement the XDS Source and XDS Consumer side of these new transactions for the 2008 North American Connectathon, but I will be doing so after the trial implementation text is available from IHE … which should be sometime in late summer.